Thursday, March 16, 2017

I'm Sorry, but I Can't



I’m sorry, but I’m going to be late today…
            Because I have a broken pipe, and I need to wait for the plumber.
I’m sorry, but I’m not coming today…
            Because the plumber never came yesterday and now my apartment is flooding.
I’m sorry, but I’m going to be late today…
            Because I have been summoned to a. the Archbishop’s House, b. the clinic, c. the school, etc.
I’m sorry, but I’m not coming today…
            Because my stomach has decided to revolt.
I’m sorry, but I’m going to be late today…
            Because the taxi I’m in keeps overheating, and I doubt it’ll make it the last 30km into town.
I’m sorry, but I’m not coming today…
            Because you asked me to work the last two weekends, and I need to go to the market for food.
I’m sorry, but I’m going to be late today…
            Because I have to flush my toilet.

            Sometimes things come up. We all know this. For some reason, there doesn’t seem to be a middle ground or a simple solution here. I made my way across town to my friend’s house this afternoon, and she begged me to write a blog on my morning, so here it goes.

7-something: A text message that scared the living daylights out of me asking me to pretty please bring oatmeal when I head up to Njinikom this weekend. Even though my heart was pounding in my chest, I was thankful it woke me from a bizarre dream (even though my alarm would have done the same at 7:15).

7-something later: I really don’t want to get out of bed.

8-ish: Okay, fine. I roll myself out of the hole my body has formed in my foam mattress and grumble as I make my way into the kitchen to make coffee. Because, you know, coffee is life.

8:30: Get dressed and make breakfast.

8:45- Eat breakfast.

9:00- Ready to leave the house! Wait, no I’m not. I have to flush my toilet.

9:05- Grab buckets and head outside to fetch water.

9:15- Back at the apartment and in the kitchen to do dishes. When there’s no water, one cannot waste water. Once dishes are done, the toilet can be flushed.

10:00- Dishes done. Time for more coffee.

10:20- Rest of dishes are done.

10:30- Toilet is finally flushed! Woohoo!

10:45- Make it up the hill to the office.

Who knew flushing a toilet could take so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment